UBUC offers a wide veriety of training for all levels of diver. Whether you are completely new to scuba diving or a Dive Leader (or equivalent) with more than 400 dives, we have something for you. From basic diving to speciality skills, you can learn it all through UBUC.
If you are training with us, you will also need BSAC membership and UBUC membership, as well as some personal gear (see Joining Us).
2018 Training Prices
- Ocean Diver: £82 (optional £10 extra which includes the Diving Manual)
- Sports Diver (from Ocean Diver): £72
- Sports Diver (Crossover from another Agency): £82
- Dive Leader (from Sports Diver): £52
- Dive Leader (Crossover from another Agency): £62
- Advanced Diver & SDCs: Speak to the Extended Training Officer for more information
- BSAC Training Pack
- Theory Test
- Pool Sessions (for Ocean Diver and Sports Diver)
- Kit Hire for Pool Sessions
- Subsidies for Open Water Instructors
What’s not included
- Kit Hire for Open Water Sessions (see Equipment We Have)
- Your own personal dive gear (see Equipment You Need)
- Fuel to get to dive sites (normally around £8 per day)
- Transport Hire (if needed, we try to use our members’ own cars)
- Entry to inland dive sites, if applicable (normally around £17 – £20 per day). We prefer to go to the sea!
- Accommodation, if necessary (camping can be £6 per night, other places slightly more)
- Food and drink
Training Packs are purchased via the Underwater Events page of the Bristol SU Website.
The Ocean Diver (OD) qualification is your first step into the world of scuba diving. We will teach you the essential knowledge and skills needed to dive safely. You will be able to dive to a maximum depth of 20m. The OD course consists of 7 Theory lessons, 5 Sheltered Water lessons and 4 Open Water lessons. The Open Water lessons can be completed over 2 days, but sometimes take 3 days. For more information, see the BSAC Ocean Diver page.This course is organised by the Training Officer. Lectures and Sheltered Water lessons take place in the first term. Open Water lessons happen from March onwards.
The Sports Diver (SD) course extends your training to allow you to experience a wider range of diving sites and conditions. The course hones your rescue skills, navigation, techniques with equipment and more about breathing gas. You will be able to dive to a maximum depth of 35m. The SD course consists of 6 Theory lessons, 1 Sheltered Water lessons and 5 Open Water lessons. The Open Water lessons normally take 3 days to complete. For more information, see the BSAC Sports Diver page.This course is organised by the Training Officer. Lectures and Sheltered Water lessons take place at the beginning of the second term, and Open Water lessons from March onwards.
As a Dive Leader (DL), you are becoming an expert in your field of dive leadership. You will be competent in planning dives for groups of divers, and managing diving on the day. Dive Leaders are a necessity for UBUC in order to run any club trip. The course consists of 12 classroom lessons, 7 Open Water dives, 2 Dry Practical lessons and 20 dives in a range of conditions. For more information, see the BSAC Dive Leader page.This course is organised by the Extended Training Officer. Lectures and Dry Practical lessons take place at the beginning of the second term, and Open Water lessons from March onwards.
Advanced Diver and Above
Contact the Extended Training Officer for more information.