If you have never dived before, UBUC can train you! We teach to the internationally recognised BSAC Ocean Diver standards, and we are very proud of our thorough training programme. Listed below is information about the BSAC Ocean Diver course, what you will need and what it covers.
Do note that when training with us you will also need BSAC membership, as well as some personal gear (see Joining Us).
BSAC Ocean Diver
The BSAC Ocean Diver (OD) qualification is your first step into the world of scuba diving. We will teach you the essential knowledge and skills needed to dive safely. You will be able to dive to a maximum depth of 20m. The OD course consists of 7 Theory lessons, 5 Sheltered Water lessons and 4 Open Water lessons. The Open Water lessons can be completed over 2 days, but sometimes take 3 days. For more information, see the BSAC Ocean Diver page.This course is organised by the Training Officer. Lectures and Sheltered Water lessons take place in the first term. Open Water lessons happen from March onwards.
2021/22 Training Prices
- Ocean Diver: £95
- UBUC Membership
- Theory Test
- Pool Sessions
- Kit Hire for Pool Sessions
- Subsidies for Open Water Instructors
What’s not included
- BSAC Membership (£32) (purchased via the BSAC website)
- BSAC Ocean Diver pack (£42.50) (purchased via the BSAC website)
- Kit Hire for Open Water Sessions (see Equipment We Have)
- Your own personal dive gear (see Equipment You Need)
- Fuel to get to dive sites (normally around £8 per day)
- Transport Hire (if needed, we try to use our members’ own cars)
- Entry to inland dive sites, if applicable (normally around £17 – £20 per day). We prefer to go to the sea!
- Accommodation, if necessary (camping can be £6 per night, other places slightly more)
- Food and drink
Training Packs are purchased via the Underwater Events page of the Bristol SU Website.