You can continue your training with UBUC, and continue to develop yourself as a diver. We offer BSAC qualifications from novice to instructor level. We also run Skills Development Courses, focused on certain aspects of diving.
Check out the Crossover Equivalence section if you are qualified with a different agency.
If you are an experienced diver we also offer a range of Instructor Training, with divers of Sports Diver standard and above able to start with the BSAC Instructor Foundation Course and assist with pool training. See the Instructor Training page for more information.
Do note that when training with us you will also need BSAC membership and UBUC membership, as well as some personal gear (see Joining Us).
BSAC Sports Diver
The BSAC Sports Diver (SD) course extends your training to allow you to experience a wider range of diving sites and conditions. The course hones your rescue skills, navigation, techniques with equipment and more about breathing gas. You will be able to dive to a maximum depth of 35m. The SD course consists of 6 Theory lessons, 1 Sheltered Water lessons and 5 Open Water lessons. The Open Water lessons normally take 3 days to complete. For more information, see the BSAC Sports Diver page.This course is organised by the Training Officer. Lectures and Sheltered Water lessons take place at the beginning of the second term, and Open Water lessons from March onwards.
BSAC Dive Leader
As a BSAC Dive Leader (DL), you are becoming an expert in your field of dive leadership. You will be competent in planning dives for groups of divers, and managing diving on the day. Dive Leaders are a necessity for UBUC in order to run any club trip. The course consists of 12 classroom lessons, 7 Open Water dives, 2 Dry Practical lessons and 20 dives in a range of conditions. For more information, see the BSAC Dive Leader page.This course is organised by the Extended Training Officer. Lectures and Dry Practical lessons take place at the beginning of the second term, and Open Water lessons from March onwards.
BSAC Advanced Diver and Above
Contact the Extended Training Officer for more information.
2018 Training Prices
- Sports Diver (from Ocean Diver): £72
- Sports Diver (Crossover from another Agency): £82
- Dive Leader (from Sports Diver): £52
- Dive Leader (Crossover from another Agency): £62
- Advanced Diver & SDCs: Speak to the Extended Training Officer for more information
- BSAC Training Pack
- Theory Test
- Pool Sessions (for Ocean Diver and Sports Diver)
- Kit Hire for Pool Sessions
- Subsidies for Open Water Instructors
What’s not included
- Kit Hire for Open Water Sessions (see Equipment We Have)
- Your own personal dive gear (see Equipment You Need)
- Fuel to get to dive sites (normally around £8 per day)
- Transport Hire (if needed, we try to use our members’ own cars)
- Entry to inland dive sites, if applicable (normally around £17 – £20 per day). We prefer to go to the sea!
- Accommodation, if necessary (camping can be £6 per night, other places slightly more)
- Food and drink
Training Packs are purchased via the Underwater Events page of the Bristol SU Website.
Whichever agency you trained with, you are more than welcome to join and come diving with us.
All divers who trained with other agencies will have to attend a workshop to get to know the BSAC decompression tables, do a short pool session to show us your skills, and get a Statement of Alternative Training (SALT) sticker signed by the Diving Officer and stuck into your logbook.
The following ‘entry level’ qualifications are the equivalent to BSAC Ocean Diver:
- CMAS One Star
- NASDS Open Water
- NASDS Advanced Open Water
- NAUI Scuba Diver
- NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver
- PADI Open Water
- PADI Advanced Open Water
- Royal Navy Ships Diver
- SAA Open Water
- SSI Open Water
- SSI Advanced Open Water
The following qualifications are the equivalent to BSAC Sports Diver:
- CMAS Two Star
- HSE Commercial Diver:
- HSE Scuba Diver (Part 4)
- HSE Surface Supply Diver (Part 3)
- HSE Closed Bell Diver (Part 2)
- HSE Surface Supply Top Up Diver (Part 1)
- NASDS Rescue Diver
- NAUI Scuba Rescue Diver
- PADI Rescue Diver
- SAA Club Dive
- SSAC Third Class Diver
- SSI Advanced Open Water Diver with ‘Stress and Rescue’ Speciality
- Army Compressed Air Diver
The following qualifications are equivalent to BSAC Dive Leader:
- NASDS Dive Supervisor
- NAUI Divemaster
- PADI Divemaster
- SAA Dive Leader
- SSAC Second Class Diver
- SSI Dive Control Specialist
The following qualifications are equivalent to BSAC Advanced Diver:
- CMAS Three Star Diver
- SAA Dive Supervisor